- Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy
- General Information
Brief History: The Kaliningrad Higher Maritime School was established in 1966 in accordance with the decree № 330 of the Council of Ministers of the USSR (April 30, 1966).
Foundation – 1966. During the 60-s of the XXth century the fishing industry of the country and of the Kaliningrad region was actively developing. During these years the demand for such maritime specialists as navigators and marine, electrical and radio engineers, specialists in fishing and fish processing, refrigeration engineers and mechanics of process equipment sharply increased. At the time there were only two institutions in the Kaliningrad region where specialists for the fishing industry were trained – the Kaliningrad Technical Institute of Fishing Industry and Economy and the secondary maritime school. But this was not enough. The Council of Ministers of the USSR resolved to establish the Kaliningrad Higher Maritime School for training in the maritime field. Yuri Kletnov became the first rector. Under his guidance the establishment of the institution was being performed, a number of departments were formed, educational facilities were strengthened and improved. From the earliest years of the higher school a lot of attention was paid to the research work of teachers and students. In 1969 a new stage in the history of the institution began. By order№ 336 of the Minister of Fisheries of the USSR the KHMS was renamed into the Kaliningrad Higher Maritime Engineering School.
Rector – Alexander Pimoshenko In 1985 Alexander Pimoshenko was assigned the rector of the KHMES. For 21 years Alexander Pimoshenko had been the head of the higher school combining this administrative work with teaching, research and social activity. Under his guidance the level of pre-higher school training – the Maritime Lyceum - appeared in the structure of the institution. In 1991 on the initiative of the rector the legendary barque "Kruzenshtern" ( on board of which cadets of maritime training institutions do their first sailing practical training) was transferred to the KHMES .
On December 24, 1991 the decision № 63 of the Government of the Russian Federation " On transformation of the Kaliningrad Higher Maritime Engineering School " entered into force. The chairman of the Committee for the Fishing Industry of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation V.Korelskiy signed an order №26, "On transformation of the Kaliningrad Higher Maritime Engineering School into the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy." In 1993 by the Order of the Committee on Fisheries of the Russian Federation the Baltic regional center for certification and training of the fishing industry personnel was established.
The Baltic Maritime Training Center begins to operate in 1996 and becomes a leading center of training of seafarers of the Baltic region conducting training in accordance with international requirements. In 1998 by the Order of the Government of the Russian Federation and the order of the Department of Fisheries the Russian Institute for Improvement of Qualification for specialists and professionals of the fisheries (named "the Institute for Improvement of Qualification") was merged with the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy.
Rector – Vladimir Volkogon In June 2008 Vladimir Volkogon becomes the new rector of the Academy. Over the long history of the university Vladimir Volkogon became the third rector. Thanks to the organizational skills, experience and knowledge Vladimir Volkogon with the help of the staff managed to create academic multi-level training complex for the fishing industry which allows conducting continuous training from secondary professional education to the highest level of post-graduate training post-graduate and doctoral programs.
The Kaliningrad Maritime Fishing College merger On September 9, 2010 in accordance with the order № 769 signed by the head of the Federal Agency for Fisheries Andrey Krainiy the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy was reorganized by merging the Kaliningrad Maritime Fishing College.
At present, the structure of the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy comprises the Kaliningrad Maritime Fishing College, the Academy, the Baltic Centre of Maritime Education and the Institute of Professional Pedagogy. There are specialized academic councils for defense of candidate’s and doctoral theses.
The academy offers 15 specialist, 4 Bachelor’s degree and 1 Master’s degree programmes. The training is conducted at 4 faculties (Navigation, Marine Engineering, Radio Engineering, and Transport) and at the Institute of Applied Economics and Management.
Reorganization In accordance with the order № 97 of the Federal Agency for Fisheries of 25.01.2012 , of the Federal State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "the Kaliningrad State Technical University " was reorganized by merging with the Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education "the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy " as a separate structural unit of the University with the name "the Baltic fishing Fleet State Academy " of the Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "the Kaliningrad State Technical University” (“BFFSA” of the FSBEI HPE “KSTU”).
"The Institute for Improvement of Qualification" was reorganized into the Baltic Center for Maritime Specialist Training.
Head of the Academy – Sergey Karpovich Vladimir Volkogon is appointed the Rector of the University. By the order of the Rector of the University Sergey Karpovich was appointed the Head of the Academy.
- Structure of Institution
The Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy is the separate structural unit of the large educational complex called «Kaliningrad State Technical University. The training at the Academy is conducted at the following levels:
— primary vocational education – at Kaliningrad Maritime Fishing College ;
— secondary vocational education - at Kaliningrad Maritime Fishing College ;
— higher education - 4 faculties of the Academy , the Institute of Applied Economics and Management;
— postgraduate education - at the Institute of professional pedagogy which conducts training at the levels of postgraduate and additional professional pedagogical education.
There is also Baltic Centre for Professional Maritime Education which conducts professional training of maritime specialists on a wide range of programmes including the improvement of qualification.
The Scientific and Technical Library of the Academy is a structural unit providing students and teachers with literature and information in accordance with the professional educational programmes and curricula.
The International cooperation department comprises organizational office and international projects and exchanges office. The main function of the department is to develop cooperation between Russian and foreign educational institutions.
The Navigation and practical training department supervises sailing training vessel "Krusenstern ", provides students with onshore and offshore practices and promotes graduates’ employment.
The Sport infrastructure provides the physical training for students of all specialties and areas of training at the BFFSA. Sports facilities are used by sections and teams daily from 14.30 to 21.00 on a complimentary basis. For nonresident students the Academy has two dormitories buildings. The cost of living in the dorms depends on the area of the room, number of roommates and learning conditions ( at the expense of the federal budget or a full cost recovery ). The dormitories are equipped with kitchens, studies, bathrooms and shower rooms with the necessary sanitary equipment.
The Academy canteen can accommodate up to 600 people and provides cadets with hot meal three times a day. There is also a cafeteria for students and staff.
All cultural and public events take part at the club of the Academy. The club has necessary facilities for extracurricular classes and amateur activities (dance, vocal, KVN, etc.).
The museum of the Academy keeps a chronicle of the history of the institution since 1966. Documents and exhibits of the museum allow taking a look at the way from the Kaliningrad Higher Maritime School to the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy. There is also a separate hall for the exposition dedicated to the training sailing ship “Krusenstern”. The information technology center was created to improve the information environment of the Academy. All divisions are linked into the local network. There are points of access to the Internet (10 MB / s) on the first and second floors of the building #1.
The automotive service centers created in the structure of the BFFSA are intended for practical training of students of the Transport Faculty, schools and colleges and vocational schools specialized in service of automotive transport. In addition the centers provide services for the maintenance and repair of vehicles. Academy Alumni Council, using his connections with the sea and naval organizations and industrial enterprises in their work, unites alumni of the BFFSA to promote the traditions and history of the fishing fleet in Russia and in the Kaliningrad region.
In 1925 the famous Hamburg-based German sailing ship owner F. Laeisz ordered a big steel sailing vessel from the shipyard Johan C. Tecklenborg in Geestemuende near Bremerhaven – a four-masted barque for the Cape Horn-trade. Less than a year later the ship was ready.
According to the tradition, the names of all Laeisz's ships start with the letter 'P'. Therefore Erich F. Laeisz's eleven year old daughter Christine gave the new bark the name 'Padua'.
The 'Padua' even then rated among the world's 10 biggest sailing ships, being 114.5 metres long, with a width of 14.02 metres and a draught of 7.2 metres. As a cargo ship the 'Padua' had a displacement of 6400 tons. The ship could carry about 4000 tons of cargo in four holds. The total sail area of the 'Padua' is between 3400 and 3800 square metres on its four masts (maximum height 56 metres). From 1926 to 1941 the 'Padua' made 17 voyages, 15 of which were deep-water passages to Chile at the west coast of South America or to Australia. The ship rounded Cape Horn 28 times and carried tens of thousands tons of cargo in her holds.
After the end of World War II the victorious Allied Powers USSR, USA and Great Britain decided to disband the German fleet and to distribute the ships among themselves as war reparations. Therefore in January 1946 the Soviet flag was hoisted on bord of the 'Padua'. In February 1946 the ship was re-namend 'Kruzenshtern' to honour the admiral Ivan Fyodorovich Kruzenshtern, the leader of the first Russian round the world-voyage from 1803 to 1806, scientist-hydrographer and teacher of a whole generation of outstanding Russian seamen. After extended repairs, lasting until 1961, the then scientific research vessel 'Kruzenshtern' worked for 5 years on a programme of the Soviet Academy of Sciences as part of a big group of research vessels to explore the Atlantic ocean and at the same time as a sail training vessel for cadets of the Soviet Navy under the command of Captain Pavel Vasilievich Vlasov.
In June 1967 the sail training ship (STS) 'Kruzenshtern' left her new home port Riga on its first voyage under the flag of the Ministry of Fisheries of the USSR.
In 1972 the ship received a new captain, Ivan Georgevich Schneider, under whose leadership a new aera began in the legendary sailing ship's life. From 1974 to 1977 the vessel won a whole collection of prestigious cups and prizes, among them a silver model of the clipper ship 'Cutty Sark', which the 'Kruzenshtern' received in 1974.
In 1984 the 'Kruzenshtern' again changed ownership – from the Baltic fleet of training vessels based in Riga to the government-owned fisheries company 'Estrybprom' in Tallinn. And the ship got a new captain – Gennadyi Vasilievich Kolomensky.
By order of the Ministry of Fisheries the ship was moved in 1991 from 'Estrybprom' to the Higher Institute of Naval Engineers (KVIMU) in Kaliningrad, now called the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy and still the owner of 'Kruzenshtern'.
First round the world-voyage: 1995-1996
This voyage was scheduled to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Russian Navy, the 225th birthday of I.F. Kruzenshtern and the 190th anniversary of the successful completion of the first Russian round the world-voyage. The ship sailed partly on the same path as taken by I.F. Kruzenshtern and Y.F. Lisyansky on their voyage and partly followed the 'Padua's' first voyage in 1926-1927.
'Kruzenshtern' crossed the Atlantic ocean, rounded Cape Horn, calling, among others, at Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Chile, Tahiti, Tokio, Vladivostok, Singapore, Australia, and Cape Town. During the 5389 hours (224.5 days) of the round the world-voyage the ship covered 42433 nautical miles. The flag of Russia was shown on three oceans, crossing the Equator four times, and in 15 foreign ports in 13 countries of Europe, South America, Asia, Austrialia, Oceania and Africa.
Second round the world-voyage: 2005-2006
To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the victory in the Great Patriotic War (WW II) and the 200th anniversary of the Russian vessels' first round the world-voyage under the command of I.F. Kruzenshtern, the four-masted bark 'Kruzenshtern' left St. Petersburg on the 24th of June 2005 for taking part in the 'Tall Ships Race 2005' and then to sail on another round the world-voyage. The 'Kruzenshtern' visited ports in Ireland, England, Spain, Portugal, the Canary Islands, Uruguay, Argentina, Mexico and the Hawaiian Islands.
International Transatlantic Expedition 2009-2010
This expedition was laid on to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the Soviet victory in the Great Patriotic War, the 90th anniversary of the Russian Fisheries Fleet, and the 60th anniversary of the first Russian herring fleet.
During this expedition the ship took part in the Transatlantic race 'Atlantic Challenge 2009', visiting ports in Spain, the Bermudas, the USA, Panama, Mexico, Canada, Venezuela, Cuba, the Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium. On the 9th of May, the day of the 65th anniversary of the victory, the ship returned to its homeport Kaliningrad. Behind lay approx. 39000 nautical miles, covered during the 299 days of the voyage's two parts. A third of the total mileage was covered under sail only.
Every year the four-masted bark 'Kruzenshtern' sails on three training voyages – in spring, summer and autumn. On board of the sail training vessel cadets of various Russian nautical colleges and institutes receive their first shipboard practice.
During this years' voyages 'Kruzenshtern' will visit twelve ports in nine countries.
After a 20 years' break the ship is again scheduled to visit the port of Casablanca, Morocco. There it is planned to sign an agreement between the Fishery Agencies of the Russian Federation and the Kingdom of Morocco.
For the first time in history, the legendary member of the Russian fleet will visit the French ports Sete and Brest, where 'Kruzenshtern' will take part in the International Maritime Festival, where every five years ships from all over the world meet.
The Russian four-masted bark's visit to London from the 27th of July onwards is dedicated to the world's most important sports event – the 30th Summer Olympics. 'Kruzenshtern' and its crew already gained some experience in supporting the Russian team when visiting Vancouver during the Winter Olympics there. This time the legendary sailing ship's mission is connected with the 22nd Winter Olympics in Sochi.
'Kruzenshtern' will be in St. Petersburg to meet the participants of the World Economic Forum there.
In 2012 the ship also will visit the Canadian ports of Quebec and St. John's. In Quebec the visit serves the ongoing preparations for a huge Maritime Festival which is planned in Canada in 2017. In St. John's 'Kruzenshtern' will represent Russia during the 13th Annual General Assembly of the IAMU (International Association of Maritime Universities).
Among the traditional visits to Germany is the annual Port's Birthday festival in Hamburg. Further in Travemuende the 'Kruzenshtern's' cadets will have possibility to visit their ship's near-sister vessel, the 'Passat'.
In Poland the cadets will take part in the festival 'Day of Ocean Sail', which will be held in Sczeczin. In Gdansk the winners of the annual international regatta 'Kruzenshtern Cup' will be awarded their prizes.
- Structure of Program
- On-Board Trainig Scheme