- Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy (NVNA)
- General Information
1.1 Education Philosophy:
1.2 Education Goals:
1.3 Brief History:
The Bulgarian marine education was established on 9th of January 1881 when the Naval School for the Navy, the first technical school in Bulgaria, was founded. It used to train only engine-room ratings for the Navy, merchant vessels, workshops and plants.
On 03.12.1904 it was promoted us a secondary technical school. It trained technical personnel trained technical personnel for the Navy and for the Merchant Marine, the state railways, the industrial plants, the coal-mines, the electric power stations, the aviation, etc.
The first attempt to train navigation officers was introduced in 1913, but the first course of study to train navigation officers for the Navy and for the Merchant fleet began in 1919. During the years learning processes had been improved. Navigation faculty and Technical faculty were created only in 1929.
In 1942 the school was promoted as ‘His Majesty's Naval Academy’. It started to train deck officers with a higher maritime education (bachelor degree) and one year later - ship power-plant specialists with higher maritime technical education (bachelor degree).
In 1949 Naval Academy was renamed into ‘Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy’ (NVNA). It was given the name of one of the school graduates, a world famous poet, who was shot down by the fascists as a head of antifascist military organization in Bulgaria.
Since 1956 the graduates of the NVNA have been given the qualification degree ‘engineer’.
In the early 1960s the Republic of Bulgaria became a member of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), which audits maritime education all over the world. Since then NVNA has been a higher educational institution, recognized by ship owners all over the world.
Traditionally the Bulgarian Naval Academy has also trained foreigners. This began in 1953 when the first cadets from Albania and the former Czechoslovakia were admitted. Till 1993, cadets from 12 nations had been trained in the NVNA, both for the navy and for the merchant fleet. Nowadays we continue to offer all opportunities to train foreigners.
In 1974 a new dormitory, a sport’s complex, a summer camp and other facilities were built at NVNA. Most of the old buildings were transformed into training facilities. Many new simulators and laboratories were put in operation. The Planetarium being used as an astronavigation laboratory was opened in 1986. At present the Planetarium is the biggest on the Balkan Peninsula and it offers opportunities to train cadets and students to sail using the sky luminary.
In 1992 a civilian faculty was founded in the Academy. It trains future officers for the Merchant Marine as students. After graduation most of them sail as officers under foreign flags.
- Structure of Institution
Call Sign: LZKY
Flag: Bulgaria (BG)
Gross Tonnage: 247
Dead weight Tonnage: 100
- Structure of Program
- On-Board Trainig Scheme